Community Update - August 201721st August, 2017
- As you would be aware, not for profit, aged care provider, HammondCare’s development application (DA) to build long-term residential care for homeless
men and women, or those at risk of homelessness, was approved by the City of Sydney (COS) earlier this year. The site is located at 118A Darlinghurst
Rd, Darlinghurst, adjacent to St John’s Church.
- HammondCare Darlinghurst will provide long term residential aged care accommodation in private rooms for 42 men and women who are homeless or at risk
of homelessness in the area. It will incorporate specialist services for people with high care needs.
- Hoardings are up on the site and demolition work on the old Star Car Wash has started this month. The site has been secured for safety purposes and
public access is not available.
- We plan to start archaeological excavation this month and this is to comply with Heritage NSW to ensure there is nothing on the site that is of heritage
significance. Obviously if anything is found, we will ensure it is treated appropriately.
- Builders, Taylor, has been appointed to undertake the project. They have extensive experience with aged care construction and inner city building.
- We are still planning for site excavation in September and construction to start early December
- The City Of Sydney Council has committed to a capital grant of $1.5 million towards the project. In 2015, the City’s Homelessness Unit found 15 per
cent of people sleeping rough or in short-term accommodation were over 55 years old. The number of people experiencing homelessness in later life
is growing significantly, and an increasing number are older women.
- HammondCare will raise the remaining funds for the project. Homelessness for older people in inner Sydney remains a significant issue and this project
will provide much needed services for older people in need.
- Rough Edges, a café for homeless people on Victoria St, Darlinghurst, run by St John’s is holding its annual sleep-out on Oct 20 – for more information
- If you have any questions please contact the email or website address below.
For more information about the construction of HammondCare Darlinghurst please
Call: 1300 426 666